Mary Kelaher tells a gritty story about life in the cast of a family's shadow.


Mary Kelaher

<$BlogItemFeedLinks$>

You're over the first hurdle as a writer and you're finally writing consistently. Now what?

Join me as I trawl my way through all the writing tips, promotion tips and publishing tips to try and find the diamonds in the bedrock.

Girl in a field of grass

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Promotion shomotion

Promote your novel I read. Get out there and set up your web site and start a blog. Get readers interested and involved so you can tell an agent or publisher that you have an audience when you send out your query letter.

It all sounded so innocent. Something quick and easy that I could put in place and then get back to the real task of writing my novel. Alas, it looks as though I have fallen into the sticky maze of threads that is the World Wide Web.

After knocking up a quick web site (Mary Kelaher) and starting this blog, my attention turned to getting my blog read. It is this task that has left me scouring the horizon for the path out of the maze and back to my novel writing.

My attention turned to getting my blog under the nose of potential readers so I registered my site on my first blog directory, which led me to another and another...

Two weekends later and I’m still finding them. And registering. Of course.

Add this to trying to understand pinging, RSS feeds, trackbacking, tagging and all those other essential tools I need to hook into in the name of getting my name and novel noticed by readers, agents and publishers, day after day is being whittled away by staring into my monitor in a vain attempt to rescue my attention from the spider web and guide it back to the task of writing my novel.

Hmmm, promoting my novel is starting to sound like a seriously time consuming aspect of the novel writer’s job. That’s probably because it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home